- This event has passed.
It Starts At School: Creating Equity and Inclusion in the AEC Industry
This event has passed. You can view the recordings of Part 1 and Part 2 below.
In partnership with Room for More and AIA CoEDI, the Portland Green Schools Committee presents It Starts At School: Creating Equity and Inclusion in AEC Fields. Across 3 panels, the series will explore inequities present in educational environments and barriers to success in the AEC industry. The panels will center the experiences of students, educators, and professionals for open conversation of existing realities. The final panel will present tools and strategies for combating inequity from community leaders.
Each panel will have one hour of presentation and discussion from our moderators and panelists. This hour will be followed by 20-30 minutes of “lunch table chat” where we will open up the line to have a casual Q&A or open discussion section. The lunch table chat will not be structured and will provide time for people to connect virtually and discuss relevant topics.
Panel II will take place during SBW 2020 – but feel free to tune into the first Panel prior to SBW!
Panel I: Student Voices
12 – 1:30 pm | September 24
This panel will feature student and educator voices to explore inequities faced in day-to-day education, as well as larger systematic injustices.
Moderated by Nichole Berg, Climate Change and Climate Justice Programs Manager, Portland Public Schools
- Isaac Vergun, Federal Plaintiff in Juliana et a. v. U.S. and Co-Founder and Lead Youth Climate Leader with Youth Acting for our Earth, YAE!
- Additional student community and educator speakers
SBW 2020 – Panel II: Community Voices
12 – 1:30 pm | October 15, 2020
This panel will provide a platform for AEC professionals to present the paths that support their careers and the inequities still faced in the industry.
Moderated by Karina Ruiz, NOMA PDX Board Member and Principal, BRIC Architecture
- Ruwan Jayaweera, Co-Founder, Room for More and Associate Principal, PAE
- Chandra Robinson, NOMA PDX Board Member and Project Director, Lever Architecture
- Gustavo Vela-Moreno, Room for More Member and Mechanical Engineer, PAE
Panel III: Looking Forward
12 – 1:30 pm | November 11, 2020
This panel will present solutions from educators, community leaders, and professionals for more equitable opportunities and sustained support.
Moderated by Ed Herrera, Co-Founder, Room for More and Senior Associate, BRIC Archiecture
- Angela Freeman, Executive Director of Schools, Reynolds School District
- Lia Peacock, Room for More Member and Architect, ZGF
- Student community speakers